Saturday, July 14, 2012

Saturday Savings Idea: Saving by Buying... Gift Cards!


While the blog is mainly about investing in general, I decided to talk about how to save money a bit... by buying gift cards!  I know, I know! Clark Howard loves to say that gift cards are a waste of money. I tend to agree with that statement, especially when I get gift cards for places that I don’t really care to shop at. But there is an exception to the rule. Did you know that you can save money by buying gift cards? Here is an example: I have lots of house projects, so I am always going to either Lowe’s or Home Depot. I usually make a list of what I need to buy and price everything out. Then I go to one of the following websites: CardPool.comGiftCardRescue.com or PlasticJungle.com. I can usually get a gift card somewhere between 7 to 10% off the face value (you can find a better deal during the Christmas season – more supply than demand).  In fact, just this week, my wife and I ordered a JC Penney gift card with 30% off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...